Saturday, March 1, 2014

Car Swamp MH

In the vein of this post I would like to talk about ideas.
My relatively low tech phone doesn't do much more than make phone calls but it also has a memo function. I sometimes use this function to note things that I want to look up or generally remember. At one point I wrote the phrase "car swamp mh". I have a vague memory that this was an idea for a painting or illustration. However, I have no idea what I intended myself to remember from these words. What does it mean? I have left this memo on my phone as a tribute of sorts to lost and forgotten things.
This got me wondering about how many ideas that I have come up with and lost to the ether. I know for a fact that many quips, phrases, pieces of dialogue and general strings of words I didn't write down never returned at my beckoning. This is also true for thoughts, ideas and questions that I had for picture making. For that matter any form expression applies to this issue.
Clearly not all of these thoughts are going to amount to anything. Still though it is important to have access to your ideas, thoughts and musing. Things tend to lead to other thing and many times reviewing old and used ideas can give way to inspiration. So I am suggesting, even asking, that you keep a journal, diary or or some sort of record of you ideas. I am also stressing the importance of using said record for even the smallest of thoughts. The silliest whims in words or picture may be something you may want later. Beyond this I am also asking that you occasionally sit down and look through your collection. I do not ask that you do this only when you feel bereft of ideas but as a habit and a way to reexamine your thoughts and the process that got you there. Let us hope that I follow my own advice. R.

No comments:

Site Meter