Friday, March 28, 2014

A Few Things fromThe Last Week

Let me start by saying I do not have a clear idea of what I am writing about. Yet I still type.
These are some pictures I have done over the last few days. They are the first things I have done in a little over a month. They are meant to be explorational in their own way. The first two fulfill my mandate of drawing without looking at another picture. I found this more difficult than I had hoped and gave into my desire to produce something and started using 2-d reference material for the others.
There are a few others I did the pencil work for last night. The only other point of note that comes to mind is that these and the ones I did last night have frames to go with them. This then brings us to the "what am I thinking about" part of the blog.
As I mentioned there are frames for these and other pictures not shown. This is something new and I hope to make more work not on loose paper. I had some frames and others I bought on the cheap. They are smallish and I measure out what size the piece needs to be and then draw it. The more conceptual ideas on my mind are not so grand. The desire to do a thematic series is strong and something of a no brainer. Not that an eclectic mix of subject matter is bad or wrong but I am of the opinion that a unified subject has greater weight than a hodge podge of themes and styles. A slightly more interesting idea is the graphic story. The "Wolfman" picture is from the movie of the same name. This one got me thinking of how many little pictures would allow me to tell the story in single frame shots. This then got me wondering about suites of little pictures made with this idea in mind. In truth one could do many stories in as little as six frames. Man, wolf bite, transformation, rampage and tragic end could sum it up reasonably well and that is only five. I also do not think that the story itself has to be hyper explicit. Like most art work a sense of something tends to work better than shouting it out from the rooftops.
There are other issues on my mind. Size or larger size more specifically, the use of something other than black line (as seen in the cityscape), paint or pen, and as always subject matter are thoughts bouncing around my brain as I do these things.
R.

No comments:

Site Meter