Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Just talking

I am often going on about reworking old pieces, particularly sketchbook work, to better know how and what you are doing. That can be attested to in This This and This. The pictures below are part of that.
Firstly let me say that there is half a decade or more between these two stages. I am in no way saying the end product is a standalone piece of good work. However, in context to an old doodle on crappy drugstore sketch book paper, it has some merit. I can poke many holes in the ultimate composition but the "improvements" and activation of potential is somewhat clear. There are also other ways to have gone with the piece but black lines seem to be the thing right now. For that matter there is no great reason to stop here( not that I intend to go back into it). The work done last night could just be the latest step. That is the great thing about such scraps of work, they can be used without fear of ruination.
I should qualify this by saying that the piece(s) are done with a reference movie still. In truth I would argue that reworking NOT using a reference piece could be more informative but if there is a different plan so be it. There is no right or wrong in such things but there may be bad habits. One's creative muscle is better worked out by tapping into one's own mind and lore. This is my opinion of myself, it is likely true somewhere someone has the opposite issue.
I could also argue that this falls in the middle. The first pic might be the ground work, rooted in representation and the update "could" be the use of internal reference. Something not unlike This. with all that said perhaps this is the next jaunt of artwork for me.

No comments:

Site Meter