Friday, November 22, 2013

Try, Try Again

As I mentioned previously in ugg I have been intending to go back into this picture. I did this last night. It is oil on card stock if anyone wants to know. The top most pic is the most recent, as of this morning truth be told. I worked on the left hand figure and felt I improved it. The right hand figure is out of control. I need to let is dry some but I have something of a bee in my bonnet to get her face in some sort of reasonable shape.
At a guess I would say I have two main issues. One is that I have it somewhat out of proportion. The second and more important is that I am not getting a three dimensional feel to it. The contour isn't there leaving a flattness that I cannot seem to paint my way out of.
Last night I started on the left hand figure and then realized it was the right hand one that I wanted to tackle. Maybe if I had started on the other figure first things would be different. I should sketch it out on a separate piece of paper until I understand the shape and structure of the face(s). However I also might be doing myself a disservice looking at the piece as two separate compositions. The point being is that I need to LOOK at what I am looking at and what I am painting. It is amazingly easy to loose sight of this. Admittedly there is a whole eye to hand translation process but first and mainly it is to open your eyes to what you are seeing.

No comments:

Site Meter