Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sketch Books

Let me start by saying that though I am still making pictures, I have been recharging by reading and exploring other forms of creativity. I have every expectation to start up on painting in the next week and a half. Otherwise I found myself thinking about sketch books. My sketch books specifically.

I often use sketch books to try and keep busy or to keep limber so to speak. This I feel is a fair use of sketch book time. I also have expectations of going back into the sketch book and to reclaim some of the things in there. This too is fine and dandy, often leading to some amount of satisfaction, for me at least. Additionally I can find things by messing around and trying different techniques or just being random. I do wonder though if I am using my sketch books to the best of the media has to offer.

I am asking myself, for example, is the sketch book more than just some disjointed images? A new thought on each page at most? How much thought or pre thought needs to be used in connection to the drawings? Should I start with a question and start sketching from there?

Clearly this is not a right or wrong scenario. There isn't an incorrect method or agenda but I still have to ask myself what it is I want? Perhaps the question is better asked as if I want something different. I have essentially have been using the sketch book the same way for years. I suspect that the sketch book can be a spring board for more than just keeping from idleness. I have in fact a small hoard of unused sketch books (or potential sketchbooks) that can allow me to have different goals, if any, for each book. So why not? To reiterate, I am not saying nothing is better than something. There is in fact very good reasons to continue using the SBs in the same manner that I have been, and yet working on something might be better than working on everything. I suppose what I am trying to grasp at is having an idea that does not begin and end in one sitting.That the sketch book is meant to be the beginning of an idea and less of a way to inter them. That is what is on my mind.

No comments:

Site Meter