Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Styles

I am not sure you can say this collection of pictures capture the range of styles I am thinking about right now. It may help illustrate the idea. I am thinking about style right now. Clearly the media used has a large impact, my use of a brush with oil paint is different than my use of soft pastels. Using my fingers is different than using a pen, pencil or brush. Gessoed canvas is different than paper. Good paper is different than bad paper. Beyond the media is the subject matter. Hoping for a reasonable abstract painting is different than a picture of Kermit the frog. Lighting of the model can impact almost all aspects of a picture. It might in fact be more difficult to adhere to one style than it is to change styles. That though is a bit more debatable in my mind than the previous ideas. Nonetheless, INTENDED style is a consideration for any project. Sure anything that is "my" style will show through regardless but there are strengths to particular modes in regards to one's end objectives. This is not news nor new to what I write about here but it is what is on my mind. I say all this with the 30 day art project in my thoughts. I am not quite ready to put it into words but I have an idea of what I am intending to do or better yet how I am intending to do it.

No comments:

Site Meter