Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fear?

I have never been one for graffiti, that is to say for being the one to graph the iti. In many ways I am pro graffiti. However I am pro graffiti in the same way I am pro speaking out loud, yes people should talk (or speak) but that does not mean that I want to be subjected to every conversation or monologue that crosses my path. Some things are smart, thoughtful and worth saying others are not. There is also a full spectrum between those ideas and tangents I have not thought of.
What about fear? Why do I not or never been a public scratches? I'll doodle on paper, on sand, on napkins, on the back of my hand, on a rug's pile or the condensation on a window pane but not in the modern convention we call graffiti. I suppose it might be civic pride. The defacement of public or private property is hardly the act of an upright citizen. Yet I would argue even the basest tagging is kissing cousins with calligraphy and mural work. I could simply not be interested, that happens. That may be an aspect of it but
most things are not one thing or for one reason. I suspect that the true reason is fear. I don't mean shyness that is something else but still maybe part of it. In part my upbringing and temperament steers me away from "getting in trouble". This is probably important but also a whole other conversation. There is some amount of intimidation I feel for many many things. The act in question might well be on that list. I may be, when it comes down to it, afraid to do it. This fear then must also apply to so much other art or like endeavors.
This is as far as this thought process got. I do not have much to add beyond the existence of such a hindrance.Surely though there is something more to say. I conceived this post before I saw a scene from Akeelah and the Bee just yesterday. A Marianne Williamson quote from that movie seemed close to the subject.
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

No comments:

Site Meter