Sunday, March 30, 2014

Habits

Firstly, the two top pics are, of course, the same piece before and after being colored in so to speak. I had wondered how it would look if I added the extra tone and after I spilled some water on it it seemed reasonable to try it out. It has some merit but it did not take the picture where I might like it to go. That is not inherent to the marker addition itself but that isn't what I wanted to write about.
Habits; as I mentioned back in January I was hoping to upend some habits I have gotten into. These latest drawing highlight this issue. Even if you leave aside that I was looking at another picture when sketching these out there is the issue of style. I am/was hoping to cultivate a style away from my usual. I like, for the time being, the long continuous line of the as seen in the fluke picture of the last post . I am sure there is a better adjective than "flowy" but that is the one I just came up with. I like the flowyness of the line work but my habits of scratching out little tics of black lines just snapped back into place the first chance it got. The near instantaneous desire to add the extra tone I mention is part of this. I feel there is a stronger image to be put down on the paper. Heavier lines with a more gratifying sense of contour come close to describing what I am trying to express. It isn't that I dislike the outcome of the drawing it is that they do not capture the feel or mood I had hoped to put down regardless of the subject matter. Clearly the solution to this is to set up some specific exercises but at the time i needed the sense of productivity more than I need to shift gears. Lets hope I do. R.

No comments:

Site Meter