Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Two Years Ago, give or take

This is not my work. I am sure I have done similar (not quite the best example but here) but the addition of the case, bubble dome thingy ties it up all very nicely. This is not a post about such things but closer to a "Things I don't Do" post. I was looking at some older posts and saw one from about two years ago, July 6th 2010 to be specific. The problem I have is that not much has changed since then I see to be in the same place. That is to say I do not think I have had any artistic growth in a long while. I looked back further and saw things I like and even missed as I no longer have them. So the thing I don't do seems to be put the time and work in to get better, grow or even produce a small number of reasonable works. Feel free to tell me I am on the wrong side of a certain line and have been here collecting dust for a while. Insert swear word. more to come r.

2 comments:

jel said...

I tend to forget that everything I do is part of the process and even in spite of myself, I improve. It takes some time to notice this. It is always a moment of stumbling on something from the past and realizing that, though I seem to be doing the same things now, my work has evolved. I take better photos than I used to. I can see that this is true. I missed the change happening.
The things that I seem to be unable to change over time: My willingness to put work that is not all I think it should be into the world. Have had this problem from the beginning and every time I stumble on a bit of the past I find no evidence that I have changed.

reino said...

I had read something recently that might agree with what you are saying. I seem either to be seeking out this advice or getting it repeatedly, so maybe I should listen "The useless days will add up to something. The shitty waitressing jobs. The hours writing in your journal. The long meandering walks. The hours reading poetry and story collections and novels and dead people’s diaries and wondering about sex and God and whether you should shave under your arms or not. These things are your becoming."

Site Meter