Friday, September 12, 2014

Clear Rip Off

This, if it wasn't clear, is a riff on yet another Mexican muralist. Though it is tweaked to fit my purposes it is a fairly straight translation. This is far from new in the world and in my work. I could site a few dozen examples but I think you can take me at my word if not just look through this blog's older posts.
I am happy to have a small suite of like pieces. I do not know if it is the bright colors or some other aspect but i find these works more fun than usual despite the subject matter.
Alright you don't have to take me at my word, these are some pics from about a decade ago. They are hopefully recognizable both in whom they use as subject and which pieces of famous art they are a rip off of. On second thought I doubt Machine Man is in the public eye.

I would like to add that working with stretched canvas does not lend to the method I have been using for these last few works. Specifically the need to press down with the various pencils and crayons. It is that heavy thick pigment, or the look of, that I think "sells" the work and to get that a healthy amount of push is needed and the fabric doesn't support that. In some ways this was meant to test that but from here on out it will be on boards of one kind or another.

No comments:

Site Meter