Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Things I don't do part 1

I cannot say exactly why it is I have never gotten into photography. The easiest answer is that I have never had the proper equipment. This is not a very satisfying answer and does not account for all the good and charming low tech work one can find. That is to say, one does not need a thousand dollar camera to take a good picture. I am certainly interested in things like composition and subject matter. The science and history behind photography is worth a lot of brain power. I have no doubts that many good things can be found in photography and it is generally a continuous fountain of potential. It would be easy to get lost in photography and do nothing else. I should mention I am not thinking of cataloging or photojournalism but there is no good reason that these should not be held in the same regard. Over time I have found that there is a lot to the photographic world if one simply scratches the surface. The work of Hockne and Barthe's Camera Lucida were helpful for me both in understanding photography and seeing the world in general. I might not have to go further than the first decade of the twentieth century to be satisfied with the scope of photographic work. There is of course a danger to that statement but I do feel it is necessary to comment on how much work had already been done a hundred years ago and improving on it is not an easy task. To say such a thing about another medium is somehow different in my head and something I did not intend to write about. My point, I think, is that the quality of a good photograph have not changed with all the technology and those ideas are ones that relate directly to visual media in general. Some things are somehow better than others; a bad picture is bad but a good shot is sublime. It might be fair to say to work in any visual media is to work in the same arena and aspire to the same ends. I do not know why I have never gotten into photography but that is not to say I have not learned from it. There are plenty of people doing better work than I ever could (not that that is a reason not to indulge). It could be as simple as answering the question where does my heart lie, there are others who are clearly much more invested in it than I am willing to be. Now at the end of this post I seem to have only asked a question rather than answer one. c'est la vie r.

No comments:

Site Meter